Frequently Asked Questions
What or who is the Como Charitable Foundation, Inc.?
The Como Charitable Foundation was created by the late Luella Snyder of Franklin Parish. It exists to improve the lives of the people in Franklin Parish. Its mission is to help people help themselves, and education is at the forefront of the initiative.
How is the Foundation administered?
The Como Charitable Foundation is administered by a Board of Directors as outlined in the corporation’s bylaws.
The Foundation considers applications from the following types of organizations:
- A tax-exempt organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that is not a private foundation described in Section 509(a) of the Internal Revenue Code;
- An organization described in Section 170(c)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code (governmental entities);
- An organization described in Section 511(a)(2)(B) of the Internal Revenue Code (state colleges and universities).
What are “in-kind” contributions?
In-kind contributions are goods or services provided instead of cash or new monies. They can include donated space or materials, or portions of personnel or staff time. If in-kind contributions are listed as revenue sources in your budget, you must also show the corresponding expenses. In-kind contributions are important in order to show:
- All the ways in which the community is supporting your project, even though not everyone is giving cash.
- The true cost of the project – what you would have to spend without the support.
- The match of other funds for the project, if applicable.
How do I apply for a grant?
Click on the Grants link at the top or bottom of this website. There are partial instructions on that page, along with a “Download Grant Application” button to print off the application form and more detailed instructions on what you must include with your completed grant application.
What is the deadline for applying for a grant?
The Como Charitable Foundation Boards meets quarterly, so the deadlines vary. Please contact us and ask for the next application deadline.
How soon will I know if my organization is receiving a grant?
You will be notified a few days after the Board meeting as to whether the grant request was approved or disapproved. Funds will be disbursed at the discretion of the Board of Directors.